So, you’ve established a meal plan and workout routine that works for you and picked out the right protein powder. You’re ready to embark on your journey to getting a shredded body. But one question stumps you: when to drink protein shakes for weight loss?
HOW PROTEIN SHAKES HELP YOU LOSE WEIGHT
For athletes, bodybuilders, and fitness enthusiasts, protein shakes are their go-to supplement. It’s the best way to assist with building lean muscle, incorporate more protein into one’s diet, and lose weight.
Protein powders are, by their name alone, high in protein. And protein helps you feel fuller for longer, which aids in suppressing your appetite, and boosting your metabolism, among other benefits.
Protein shakes aren’t just pure protein, though, they are also high in other nutrients like iron, calcium and magnesium while keeping calories low.
WHEN TO DRINK PROTEIN SHAKES FOR WEIGHT LOSS – DEFINING YOUR FITNESS GOALS
Strictly speaking, there is no set time, the timing will depend on your fitness goals and your daily routine. But there are still recommended periods that are best to use protein supplements:
- As a meal replacement. Can be a quick, filling meal for people on the go. However, it is not a good idea to substitute allyour meals with protein shakes; keep in mind that they’re supposed to be supplementary to your diet.
- As a snack replacement. As a nutrient-dense, low-calorie supplement, protein shakes help control your hunger levels and prevent unhealthy binge-eating.
- First thing in the morning. Beneficial to those looking to lose weight. This stimulates your metabolism to work faster and increases your protein intake without adding too many calories.
- Before workout. Helps to reach your full potential during training as protein will provide your body with energy.
- After workout. Aids in muscle growth and recovery as well as replacing all the protein you’ve burned off while working out.
- Before going to bed. Increases muscle mass gains and strength, improves post-workout recovery, and enhances overall athletic performance.
TIPS ON PROTEIN SUPPLEMENTATION
As one of Australia’s leading sports nutrition experts outlines, here are some things to keep in mind when choosing and taking protein supplements.
- Protein shakes aren’t a magic pill that can work on their own. If you want to reap maximum benefits for weight loss, you will need a healthy diet and a training routine to go along with it, as well as commitment and consistency.
- You’ll want to choose the right kind of protein powder that best suits your individual needs and fitness goals.
- Look for protein powders with no artificial sweeteners, preservatives and colourings. When it comes to protein shakes, fewer ingredients is better.
- If you’re new to supplementing your diet with protein, consuming one shake per day is a good way to start.
- Before taking any protein supplements, always consult your doctor or nutritionist first. With your health needs in mind, they are likely to offer the best dietary advice for your weight loss plans.
The journey to weight loss isn’t an easy one, but high-quality protein shakes can definitely make the process faster for you. Our supplementary products aren’t the only thing we have that can help you with your goals, though. We also have a guide to nutrition, training, and supplements that you can download for free!